Monday, July 13, 2015

4 things no one tells you about obedience


Because I kind of wish they did.

1. It doesn't guarantee you're making the "best" choice.

Obedience is not about making the best choice, it's about making the right choice. If your boss tells you to write a 10-page memo by hand, you would probably think it was a joke.


You would say, "But there's a much better way to do this." Using a computer would make the same task 1000 times more efficient. Not to mention, it's 2015, I couldn't hand write 10 pages if I wanted to.


Chances are, your boss knows you could use a computer to complete the same task in a fraction of the time. And your boss even knows that you know that. However, in this particular (tedious) instance, writing the information out by hand is what's right. It's what works for your boss. And unfortunately, it's the task you were assigned.

No one tells you that your obedience might conflict with all logic and common sense known to man.

No big deal.


Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to obey, to be ready for every good work.
(Titus 3:1)


2. It feels good.

Like really good.



There's something about doing what's right. As born again Christians, we have the mind of Christ. We delight in the things He delights in.

Consequently, we seek to do His will. Since obedience is just that, God's will, it brings us pleasure and contentment.

Praise the Lord! Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who delights greatly in His commandments.
(Psalm 112:1)




3. It can make you seem weak.

People may talk about you for "doing whatever people tell you to do."

They say, "If I were you I'd-


But their conviction may be different from yours. Also their employment status.

4. The reward is not what you expect. 

It's so much better.

The problem with the 10-page handwritten paper isn't that it's a 10-page handwritten paper. It's the idea that it doesn't seem rewarding. I can see the outcome and it's just not special.

It's actually quite severely underwhelming. Borderline depressing.



But the truth is, we can't ever see the reward. We can't even imagine it. Our reward comes from the One we serve, Christ, who does exceedingly and abundantly above all that we could ask or think.

No one ever tells you that the reward for obedience is so...so much better.


Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ.
(Colossians 3:23-34)




What's something no one told you about obedience?




16 comments :

  1. Ok so much wisdom here with so much funny. I love your heart and your gifs. Thanks for the good reminders that obedience is not easy but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely agree! Obedience is hard but so beneficial in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I'm just LOVING the Minions GIF right after the Psalms verse. Such a perfect pairing to see going into Tuesday. <3

    Coming Up Roses

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Lindsey, praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, it's not always too obvious beforehand, but it's so worth it to obey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "It doesn't guarantee you are making the best choice."

    Truth. Hard truth, but truth. In a day where there is so much pressure for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, that's so true. I didn't even consider the pressure to make the best choice. I definitely fall into that trap sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything about this post is fabulous --- from Sheldon and the minions to all the truth about obedience. Many times, we just have to do whatever it is BECAUSE HE SAID SO. Now, if only I could teach this to my kiddos...

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I could only teach this to myself! Ha. Thanks, Kristin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No one ever told me that obedience means making decisions that seem crazy to others, but are exactly what Christ asks of us. I'm learning that a lot as I navigate post-grad life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another good post, my friend! I agree with so much of this post because it boils down to respect and hard work -- two necessary traits for those bearing Christ's name. Where I typically experience issues is when obedience to man (read: boss) contradicts what's RIGHT with God. I feel like I encounter this issue all the time and I don't always handle such situations gracefully.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally get what you mean, we are instructed to obey our leaders but often times their actions contradict God's word. As you literally just said lol. But one thing I've experienced is that if someone is in a position of authority over you and their views do not align with God's, then it could be His will for you to remove yourself from that position of submission. For example, I wouldn't work for a company that stands for and even fights for something that goes against God's will (unless specifically lead by God with a purpose.) And I would have faith that in leaving that company, and obeying God's voice, God would still provide for me. God will not backtrack on something He said.

    However, I totally get that "just leaving" is not always an option in many situations. For example, something other than your place of work, like your church or your home. I have friends who are saved whose parents are muslim and they have to constantly battle "honoring" their parents vs. "obeying" them. I am also dealing with something that is very similar where I'm receiving advice from someone in the Body, but it feels wrong and my discernment isn't exactly kicking in to help a sister out lol. I guess it all comes down to drawing near to God. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tell me about it! I really hear what you're saying. God does not see things the way we seem them. In fact, if too many people understand what I'm doing I'd question it to be sure I'm following Jesus lol.

    ReplyDelete